Saturday, June 25, 2016

3 reasons it's important to unplug

Howdy y'all! At the very moment this post is published, I'll be getting ready to head to New Mexico for church camp. I love everything about going to this camp but one of my favorite things about it is that we're required to give up all of our technology for the week. Now, y'all know that I'm pretty attached to my phone and computer but I actually really enjoy being away from it during this time! I think it's super important for people to take a little time to unplug from technology, especially millennials and bloggers! Our whole lives literally revolve around technology and it's very easy to get caught up in that, and while technology is awesome, we also need to make time to take a break from it.


one // There ain't so much happening all at once.
I don't know about y'all, but throughout the day I get a ton of notifications on my phone and I'm always distracted by them. If I see something pop up, you can almost guarantee I'm going to check it. I recently started turning off my notifications for most apps (including all social media with the exception of SnapChat) and it has been super helpful, but I still get a lot of notifications throughout the day and that can be very overwhelming and time consuming! When you take a moment to step away from technology, you can focus on one thing at a time without the distraction of notifications or the temptation to be doing something else.

two // You get more of a chance to actually be with the people around you.
Y'all know that I struggle with social anxiety and I often use my phone as a safety net in social situations. If I say I'm putting it away for an hour, or a day, or a week it forces me to get out of my comfort zone and interact with people. That's a big part of what I love about my camp - if I had my phone I would definitely be on it (or making it look like I was on it) to avoid having to be social because I was scared. However, with that rule, I've found that camp has been one of the best places for me to step past my anxiety and build relationships with new and old friends.

three // It gives you more opportunity to be productive.
Even though I'm not Catholic, I decided to give up Netflix for Lent and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done for myself. I found that I was so much more productive and after getting it back (because you know I wasn't giving it up forever), I've found it's a lot easier to control myself and not watch entire shows in a week. I've also noticed that when I just put down my phone, or it dies, or I don't bring it with me somewhere, it's much easier for me to focus on the task at hand. There's no distractions from notifications or temptation to check Twitter, and I'm able to just do what I need to do.

What are your thoughts on unplugging?

Have a great day!









Follow me on:
Twitter: @beautynblazers
Instagram: @beautynblazers
Pinterest: Alison H. (@beautynblazers)
Facebook: Beauty & Blazers
VSCO: alison_h

Contact me at:
beautyandblazers@gmail.com

*Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored or endorsed in any way and all opinions expressed are my own.*


No comments:

Post a Comment