Saturday, May 14, 2016

book review: the screwtape letters

Howdy y'all! I finally finished the next book from my 2016 reading list - the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. It's been slow progress but I'm hoping to read a lot more once school is out. Here are a few of my thoughts on my most recent read!


Y'all, this book is phenomenal. If you've ever read C.S. Lewis, you probably know that all of his books are fantastic - he can completely change your perspective on something with a few phrases. The Screwtape Letters is a series of letters from a "tempter" or worker of Satan, to a less experienced "tempter". He explains how the devil uses tactics to tempt us into sinning and talks about the many differences between the devil and God. It's kind of a weird concept that takes getting used to when you start reading, but trust me, it is so worth it.

It was so interesting to me to see the ways that the devil could be tempting us without our knowledge of even having sinned which was one of the reasons I loved this book. It really requires you to think about your actions as a Christian and continues to have that effect even after having finished.

I also loved the comparisons between Satan and God and the ideas about how Satan perceives God. The devil knows how unfailingly God loves us and knows that He genuinely wishes for our well being and salvation. To give you an example, I've here's one little passage that I absolutely loved and is probably my favorite out of the whole book (also, remember the context of the book [it's from the perspective of the devil, essentially] before reading or else it gets a little confusing).

"We [tempters] want cattle who can finally become food; He [God] wants servants who can finally become sons. We want to suck in, He wants to give out. We are empty and would be filled; He is full and flows over. Our war aim is a world in which Our Father Below [Satan] has drawn all other beings into himself; the Enemy [God] wants a world full of beings united to Him but still distinct."

Again, I loved this book and highly recommend it and any other C.S. Lewis book you can get your hands on (Mere Christianity is amazing). 

What have you been reading lately? Let me know in the comments!

Have a great day!










Follow me on:
Twitter: @beautynblazers
Instagram: @beautynblazers
Pinterest: Alison H. (@beautynblazers)
Facebook: Beauty & Blazers
VSCO: alison_h

Contact me at:
beautyandblazers@gmail.com

*Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored or endorsed in any way and all opinions expressed are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment