Wednesday, April 20, 2016

naturally curly hair: products and processes to keep your hair looking its best

Howdy y'all! If you've ever seen a picture of me, you know that I have naturally curly hair... and a lot of it. When I was younger it was one of my biggest insecurities and it still gives me trouble sometimes, but in recent years I've come to sort of love it. This stems from finally learning how to take good care of my hair, so I wanted to do a post for all my curly-girl readers that struggle with their hair.



Learning what products work best for you is one of the most important parts of upkeep so I will try a product, stick with it for a while if I like it, or toss it if I don't. Pretty simple, but I generally try to switch it up every couple months or so to see if I like something better. In terms of products, I'm currently using Mane and Tail Shampoo and Conditioner. I actually just switched to this a few weeks ago and I'm really liking it! I also use a conditioning masque from Macadamia once or twice a week. It is a little pricey, but it is worth every penny - the same tub has lasted me for quite a while and the product is fantastic. After I shower, I use Not Your Mother's "Kinky Moves" Curl Defining Cream. I don't use it every night, but probably around three times a week.

Now I get to a controversial topic, there's the ever-growing argument that curly girls should never brush their hair. I agree to some extent - do not brush your hair while it's dry, but I brush my hair every night after I shower. I use a Wet Brush to reduce damage, and while I know a lot of people claim that it's bad to brush wet hair, my hair is generally healthier when I brush it out. I also don't brush it a lot, I try to get most tangles out in the shower with my conditioner and then run the brush through to catch anything I missed.


In terms of a routine, I usually shower every other night. When I do, I shampoo once, rinse, use a large blob of conditioner to brush tangles out of the bottom of my hair, a smaller blob to condition the top, and rinse. If I'm using the masque that night, I brush it through the bottom of my hair and try to get any remaining tangles. I leave it in while I shave and do body wash, and then rinse it out. When I get out of the shower, I brush my hair, brush through it with the curl defining conditioner (I usually do this step on the night that I'm not using the masque), and put it in a braid for the night.

Y'all, I cannot stress enough how important conditioner is. People always told me when I was little that I should only use a little bit of conditioner when I washed my hair because it would make my hair greasy, but this is not true for curly girls. Our hair is naturally more dry and brittle and using a lot of conditioner is necessary. As you can see, I use three different kind of conditioning treatments a week! My hair is almost never greasy, and is even sometimes still a little dry and frizzy despite the excessive conditioning. I also want to say how important it is that you find a hair dresser that knows how to style curly hair. If you go to a salon where they change your stylist every time, I would recommend finding an independent hair dresser. The guy I go to is absolutely amazing with curly hair and actually had a perm a few months ago, so now he has an even better understanding of curly hair. People, do not straighten or use heat on curly hair every day. Your hair is already naturally dry, this will make it worse. If you want to straighten your hair, either have it blown out every once in a while by your hair dresser, or talk to your stylist about getting a Brazilian Blowout or Keratin treatment.

Finally, I want to tell y'all that you should love your hair. It is difficult to manage and we all gripe about it, but curly hair is truly beautiful if you learn what works best for it and can manage to tame it. God gave you your crazy, gorgeous hair for a reason. You are made His image!! He thinks you are beautiful and wonderful!! He loves you immensely even if your hair sometimes looks like a rat's nest!! Learn what your hair likes and doesn't and learn to love it.

How do you keep up with your curly hair?

Have a great day!










Follow me on:
Twitter: @beautynblazers
Instagram: @beautynblazers
Pinterest: Alison H. (@beautynblazers)
Facebook: Beauty & Blazers
VSCO: alison_h

Contact me at:
beautyandblazers@gmail.com

*Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored or endorsed in any way and all opinions expressed are my own.*




No comments:

Post a Comment