Wednesday, March 16, 2016

#ENDALZ with music medicine

Howdy y'all! Today I've got a post that's a little different than my usual content, and a lot more serious, so I'm just gonna dive on into it.

The woman in the photo below is Norma. She was born on March 28, 1931, making her 85 years old in 12 days. She grew up in Texas and went to Mary-Hardin Baylor University to become an accountant. She later married my grandpa and adopted my aunt, Joanna, and my dad, Dave. She has played the piano since she was a little girl and loves music with her whole heart. She loves animals, particularly cats, and recently got one which she named "Oreo". She likes making chocolate cakes and giving kisses to all of her grandchildren. She is one of around 4 million Americans with Alzheimer's Disease.


Most of you know that I'm a sophomore in high school, and at my school all 10th graders are required to do a cumulative project over the course of the year about a world issue that we would like to solve or bring awareness to. I chose to do mine about Alzheimer's Disease, and more specifically, the use of music as a treatment for this disease. 

Music is well known as a brain stimulate that promotes cognitive function in almost every part of the brain. The area of the brain where music is processed is also one of the last places affected by Alzheimer's Disease. It's not hard to put two and two together here. Music can help us change the game with Alzheimer's.

Music medicine is essentially the practice of music therapy by someone who isn't certified in the latter. You strategically play music to affect the patient's mood, behaviors, and even potentially slow down their disease. Playing music from the individual's "prime time" (or the between the ages of 18-25), playing music with distinct percussive sounds (i.e. toe-tapper songs), and engaging while listening to music (i.e. dancing or singing along) are all strategies for administering music medicine. 

I have seen first hand the effects of music on my grandmother. It dramatically changes her mood for the better and I know it helps with some of her behavioral issues as well. All of us grand kids and both of her kids play an instrument and she lights up when she hears any of us play. I play the piano, and watching her listen to me play is one of the most rewarding things I'll ever do. 

I also believe that this form of treatment is very promising. I've created this infographic to bring more awareness to caregivers about music medicine in the home, and would greatly appreciate if y'all would share it. 


Alzheimer's Disease is also one of the only leading causes of death that doesn't receive good government funding. We have made leaps and strides in raising awareness and money, but if you would consider making a contribution of your own (big or small), it will help us in the fight to end Alz. You can donate here.

I am so grateful to have this little spot to share my thoughts and I hope y'all understand how passionate I am about this disease and helping those affected by it. I appreciate you reading and hope you've learned something from it.

Thank you again, 
Follow me on:
Twitter: @beautynblazers
Instagram: @beautynblazers
Facebook: Beauty & Blazers
VSCO: alison_h

Contact me at:
beautyandblazers@gmail.com

*Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored or endorsed in any way and all opinions expressed are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment