Saturday, March 12, 2016

book review: james madison and the struggle for the bill of rights

Howdy y'all! Happy Saturday - I hope you've all had an awesome week! As some of y'all may know, I started a 2016 reading list back in January which you can read about here. Unfortunately, the first book I picked has taken me quite some time *cough cough two months cough cough*, so I'm only now getting around to writing my review. I chose to start with a really nerdy book that I was super duper excited about, James Madison and the Struggle for the Bill of Rights by Richard Labunski.


Y'all, I LOVED this book. I was a little worried I wouldn't like it because sometimes history books like this are difficult and very tedious to read. This one was very difficult when I couldn't give it my full attention (i.e. in a loud classroom), but when I was really focused on it, it was very easy and entertaining. The writer did a fantastic job of drawing me in by including interesting historical stats, little funny things, and lots and lots of quotes. I learned so much about, obviously, the Bill of Rights, but also about the Constitutional Convention, James Madison, Patrick Henry, the Federalists vs. Anti-Federalists, other founding fathers that I didn't even know existed (shoutout to Edmund Pendleton, my boi), and the first House of Representatives and Senate. There was so much detail in this book to begin with, but it also includes very extensive appendices. 

A lot of people don't like reading informational texts like this one, but y'all, when you just get after it, have a positive mindset, and make it fun (I like to write sassy annotations in all my books), you can learn so much from texts like this. I hope this little review will open your mind up to reading this book and others like it!

What books have you read so far this year? Let me know in the comments below!

Have a great day!
Follow me on:
Twitter: @beautynblazers
Instagram: @beautynblazers
Facebook: Beauty & Blazers
VSCO: alison_h

Contact me at:
beautyandblazers@gmail.com

*Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored or endorsed in any way and all opinions expressed are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment