Saturday, March 19, 2016

book review: paper towns

Howdy y'all and happy Saturday! Today I've got another book review for ya' from my 2016 reading list. This is the second book I've finished on my list (as you can probably tell I'm running behind), but if you'd like to read my review on the first book I finished, you can check it out here. Anyway, today's review is about Paper Towns by John Green.


I had heard a lot of great things about this book - a ton of my peers have read it and loved it, and I saw the movie when it came out which I thought was pretty good. I've read The Fault in our Stars and Looking for Alaska which were both good. I think John Green is hilarious and watch his Crash Course videos pretty frequently. All of these things put together, I thought Paper Towns would be great. Aaaaaaaand I hated it.

I will say it got better as the book went on, and there were some pretty funny jokes, but I found the book to be pretentious and annoying. I was annoyed by the character development and just the characters in general. I was annoyed by how obsessed Quentin (the main character) was with Margo. I was annoyed by his random philosophical epiphanies. I was annoyed.

It was a quick read, but it felt like forever and I wanted to quit halfway through. Again, I'll say there were funny jokes, and some of it was interesting, but I will not read this book again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I don't often dislike books and rarely give them a bad review, but I really did not enjoy Paper Towns.

I know that as soon as I publish this I'll probably be attacked by hoards of John Green fangirls, but what can ya' do? Have you read any books recently that you were excited for but ended up disliking? Let me know about it in the comments below.

Have a great day!










Follow me on:
Twitter: @beautynblazers
Instagram: @beautynblazers
Pinterest: Alison H. (@beautynblazers)
Facebook: Beauty & Blazers
VSCO: alison_h

Contact me at:
beautyandblazers@gmail.com

*Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored or endorsed in any way and all opinions expressed are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment