Saturday, October 25, 2014

getting in the spirit: halloween

Howdy y'all! Halloween is right around the corner, and its time to start getting decorations hung, and festive food made. Here are a few ideas I had for this Halloween's festivities.


Decorating Your Front Porch-
When I decorated I used, of course, the Halloween staple, pumpkins. My pumpkin had a big 'ol Texas cut out and some glittery boots on the side. I achieved this by printing a template of Texas, drawing it on my pumpkin and carving it. For the boots, I printed another template, drew it out, applied Mod Podge within the template borders, and shook some sparkly glitter on top. Rachel, my sister, did the classic Jack-o-Lantern. Overall, I think our pumpkins turned out really cute! 





Next up, I made a banner to go across the front porch. I cut out burlap triangles, glued scrapbook paper letters to them, and glued the triangles to twine. It probably took me 15 minutes, and looks really good! I also only spent $5 on the supplies, and have plenty left over! Here are some pictures of the finished products.





Sweet Treat-
I used this recipe to make some yummy candy corn cookies!

You'll need:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 TBS vanilla
2 TBS cream
2 cups flour
2 TS corn starch
1 TS baking soda
pinch of salt (optional)
1 1/2 cup candy corn (Honestly, this was A LOT of candy corn. If I did it again, I would probably only use a cup)
1 cup white chocolate chips 




To start, I gathered up all of my ingredients.


Then I put the first 5 ingredients listed into a large mixing bowl (If you have a stand mixer, use that bowl).


I mixed those with a hand mixer till the batter was a light, fluffy consistency.


I then added the next 5 ingredients.


And mixed those on low speed until they had just made it into the dough.


Next you add the candy corn and white chocolate chips (Again, I would probably just use a cup of the candy corn instead of 1 1/2)


Then you mix all that in (The recipe say to use a utensil, but it was a lot easier to mix evenly with my hands).


You then scoop them, ball them up (making sure no candy corn is on the outside [it will melt]), and place them onto a large plate slightly pressing them flat. Then you will need to chill them for at least 3 hours. I let mine sit overnight.




Finally, you bake them at 8-9 cookies a batch for around 9 minutes at 350 degrees (Fahrenheit). The edges should have set, and the middle should be on its way. Make sure to turn the tray at some point because the ones towards the front won't cook. Let them set/cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack, or a serving platter. 

Sidenote : The candy corn gets really sticky, so I would recommend putting foil on your baking sheet and spraying nonstick spray on top of that. My cookies came off relatively easy that way. 


I'm really sorry that this post came late, but I hope y'all enjoyed it. Those cookies are honestly some of the most delicious things I've ever eaten, and I really hope you'll try them out! 

I love you, Jesus loves you, Dr. Phil loves you,










p.s. The signature is a little inside joke with some of my friends that I thought I'd include. It is also very true. :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks fab! I know firsthand that the cookies are delicious!

    ReplyDelete