Friday, September 26, 2014

tips for a successful school year


Howdy y'all! I'm so excited to finally be back to blogging! I hope y'all enjoyed last week's post. This week I'm back with some school related stuff. As I've been developing to my new school, I've come up with some great studying, organization, and general school tips. 


Study Tools

Start studying as soon as you hear about the test. Instead of trying to cram last minute, start as soon as possible. Not only will you retain the information, you'll get a good night's sleep before.

If your teacher has a studying resource, use it. They may seem stupid, but are actually super helpful. At least give it a try.

Know the vocab. THIS IS IMPORTANT. It really will help. To memorize it, use flashcards or a flip-sheet. quizlet.com is also a great resource for vocab (I love using it for my Spanish class).

Pay attention in class. It's a simple one, but you know you zone out sometimes. Try to stay focused, and take notes as often as possible.

Organization

COLOR-CODE. This is by far the thing that keeps me most organized. I color-code EVERYTHING. From folders and notebooks, to my agenda, if there's color, there's a reason.

Use a planner. Write down homework and test dates (make sure to color code!) and use the full calendar to write down important dates (Homecoming anybody?). I find that it's really nice to come home and have it all planned out for me.




Make a routine of your afternoon. You'll find you can get a lot more done if you know exactly what you're going to do. For me, it's come home, practice piano, do homework, blog. You might spend a lot of time working, but at least you won't be up til 3 am doing that project due at 8 the next morning.


Miscellaneous

Bring a drink. If your school allows it, bring something to drink to class. This way, you'll have something to sip on all day, and a drink for lunch. One of my favorites is Vitamin Water.


Don't skip class. If you need a scholarship, or want to get into a good college, you'll need a great GPA, and if you're missing out on a lesson, it could be harder than you think to catch up.  

Don't be a distraction. Even if your teacher stinks, or you're only taking it because you have to, the class is important to somebody. You may not be interested in history or math, but that might be the future career of the kid next to you. If you're being disruptive, I guarantee you they aren't going to be happy.


I really hope these tips helped you out! Have a great weekend!













Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned in the above post. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment