Monday, December 23, 2013

book review: do hard things

Howdy y'all! So I didn't post last week because I was really stressed about finals, but I wanted to get some stuff up this week so there wasn't a huge gap in my posts. Also, I wanted to say that I'm really sorry for the quality of posts I've been giving you. I've been writing them last minute and not giving it my full effort. I'm going to try really hard to fix these problems by pre-writing. Now on to the post.

Over the course of this week I finished the 5 year anniversary edition of "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris which was gifted to me for my birthday. The book is based on the idea that people have low expectations for teens and how our generation needs to change that. They call it, "the Rebelution" which combines the two words "rebel" and "revolution".

"The Rebelution" started with a small blog, that then branched into a full website, and then to the teens' first book "Do Hard Things". Alex and Brett were only 16 when they started the first website.

The five year anniversary edition starts with a letter to the readers about how the book has changed since the first edition. Then Part 1: Rethinking the Teen Years begins. In this section the boys explain how the whole "Rebelution" idea started and move on the a sector entitled "The Myth of Adolescence". In this section they will talk about how low the expectations are for our generation. It will move on to explain how to "reclaim the teen years".

Part 2: Five Kinds of Hard will start by telling you how to start changing your life then moving into "Raising the Bar" explaining how you can go even farther. "The Power of Collaboration" will help you understand how important it is to have help when you're doing "Big Hard Things". Not everyone can do "Big Hard Things", but "Small Hard Things" are just as important and you will also learn that in this part.

In Part 3: Join the Rebelution you will learn how you can make a difference by joining the Rebelution.

There are a total of 4 Appendixes including, "Do Hard Things, The Gospel, and More"; "Questions (and Stories) to Get You Started"; "100 Hard Things" (specific to the 5 year anniversary copies); and "Conversation Guide".

The things I really loved about this book is the analogies they made and all of the personal stories they shared. Whether the stories be from readers or from their own experiences, they were all inspiring.

Lastly I would like to share that for my "Hard Thing" I plan on starting a girl's bible study at my school with my best friend. We had already been planning it for a while but we got really off track and it never happened, so for second semester I'm planning on making it work.

You can find the Rebelution at the website www.therebelution.com and you can buy the book here.

Have a great day!








Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of these companies and all opinions expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment